Saturday, July 7, 2012

A trip to Zoo Atlanta

Hubby has been off work this past week and we were having a little stacation.  Stacations are great when you live near a city like Atlanta.  It would be a total bummer if we lived in the country like where I grew up and had to drive a minimum of an hour to get anyplace.

Anyway, part of our activities this week included going to Zoo Atlanta.  We hadn't been to the zoo in probably over 5 years.  I love the zoo.  I love to watch the animals.  I especially love to watch the Orangutans, they are probably my favorite.  That being said, I could have probably entitled this post "How to irritate a 14 year old by making them go to the zoo".  My daughter was less than pleased to be seen at the zoo.  I didn't let her spoil my fun though.

It was hot outside but with all the trees and overgrowth in the zoo, you really didn't notice the heat.  Plus, we love summer so bring on the heat.
Anybody that has been to Zoo Atlanta knows that your first stop is the Flamingos.  They are right there on the left when you first walk in so I don't know how you could miss them.


We then went to the Parakeet exhibit.  This is a fairly new exhibit.  Well, new to us at least.  I think they said it's been there for about 5 years.




The big ole Wart Hogs.  Every time I saw them, I wanted to sing that song from The Lion King;  "When I was a young wart hog".

I guess it was nap time because they didn't budge.


Zachary and hubby aren't going to let the 14 year old mood spoil their fun either.


The giraffe's always amaze me.  We stood and watched them for a long time.


This is the largest giraffe in the zoo.  The keeper said he was 17' tall.  


The rhino was hiding out from the heat.



The monkeys (I'm not sure of their official name) spent the entire time we were watching them grooming each other.  

Too funny!


It was right after this picture that my camera batteries died.  Ugg!

I hate when that happens.  I missed pictures of the Gorillas and the Orangutans.

The one thing that Victoria wanted to do was go see the pandas.  Luckily I found a gift shop before we got there so I could get some new batteries for my camera.

We saw 3 pandas and never did figure out who was who.  They all looked alike to us.


All they did was sit and eat bamboo.  Oh the life!




This panda would take a big stalk of bamboo, break it in half and then smell the bamboo to see if she wanted to eat it.  If she didn't like the smell, she would toss it to the side and get another piece.


Smelling the bamboo.


Guess this one was good enough to eat.


The last time I was at the zoo, I remembered bigger kangaroos.  These kangaroos were little and didn't do much hopping that I saw.


Oh yea, that feels great.


I did get Zachary into the petting zoo.  Victoria wouldn't have any part of it.  She was definitely too cool for that.  She went off with her daddy to get some cotton candy.


Goats are my favorite.  Fun fact: I showed goats at the fair when I was a kid.  I actually have, or had rather, goat trophies.  I believe hubby threw them away before we moved to Atlanta.


Taking a break.




The vultures were scary looking.  


When we first came into the zoo, the elephants were in their house.  Luckily, I remembered before we left that we hadn't seen them.  


As we were standing watching them, this one came right up to the fence where we were standing.


She proceeded to get mud in her trunk and throw it all over herself.  I'm so glad we don't have to do that to stay cool. I'm also glad she didn't throw mud on us.


It was such a fun day and everyone (including the teenager) had a great time.  Definitely a venue we have missed going to.

Do you visit the local zoo where you are?  What is your favorite animal at the zoo?  I would love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...