Friday, November 18, 2011

"Can't stop eating them" Sugar Cookies


Today is my kids last day of school for a week.  They get the entire week of Thanksgiving off.  Whose crazy idea was this, may I ask?


My son's class had a Thanksgiving feast today.  They made some stew in the crockpot and I volunteered to send in cupcakes.  We're not big stew people, but we can do sugar.


I wanted to do something a little different than just a plain ole cupcake.


This is what I came up with.


I started by making some sugar cookies.  I wanted the cookie to be small enough to sit on top of the cupcake.  I looked for a turkey cookie cutter and couldn't find one.  I didn't want to use a snowman or santa since this was a Thanksgiving feast and Christmas will have it's day soon enough.


I decided on a star.  It's easy, generic and will work on top of the cupcakes.


I made my "Can't stop eating them" Sugar Cookies.  This is the easiest sugar cookie recipe you will ever try.  The dough works up really well and is so plyable.




It rolls out so easy.  I just love working with this dough.



I then cut out stars.  Lots and lots of stars.


And I baked them. For about 11 minutes.



While I let them cool, I made the cupcakes.  Their are 25 kids in my son's class.


Seriously!


I had to make 2 batches of cupcakes just to get that 1 extra cupcake.  I actually joked with my son that he didn't need one.  He didn't think I was funny.


I didn't take any pictures of the cupcake making.


They are cupcakes, we've all made them. You know what that process looks like.


Once everything was out of the oven and cooling, I made Royal Icing to pipe onto the star cookies.  I thought orange would be a nice Thanksgiving-ey color.



I then iced the cupcakes with a Buttercream frosting.  I made the cupcake icing brown.  Again, going with the whole Thanksgiving color pallet.


After the cupcakes were iced, I put the star on top of the icing.


I love how they turned out.


Hubby thought they were silly and said the kids wouldn't care what they looked like.


True, but I cared and I thought they were fun to make.


That's all that matters.




I even got one of those big cake/cupcakes boxes with the window at JoAnn's so they would be all fancy and professional looking.



I even used one of my labels I got from erincondren.com.



How fun!


 I hope the students loved them as much as I enjoyed making them.


I'm eager for my son to get home so I can find out.


You can get all my recipes here.




I'm linking up here....
Weekend Bloggy Reading

1 comment:

  1. An iced cookie on top of a cupcake...I'm sure they absolutely loved them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...