Thursday, December 22, 2011

Creamy Dreamy White Cheddar Grits

Having been born and raised in the Midwest, grits were never a part of our daily staple.  In fact, I had never tried grits until about a year and a half ago.  A friend of mine had made them for a luncheon she was having and insisted I try them.  They were delicious and I was so bummed that I hadn't tried them sooner.

I guess the deliciousness comes from the fact that they were the ones they make at The Flying Biscuit Cafe.  I hadn't ever been there before but after trying their grits recipe, I just knew that I must try the rest of their food.  Luckily for me, they have a restaurant very close to hubby's office.  We have met there several times for lunch.

So, without further ado; here is the recipe for Creamy Dreamy White Cheddar Grits from The Flying Biscuit.

CREAMY DREAMY WHITE CHEDDAR GRITS

6 cups water

2 cups half-and-half

3 teaspoons kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

2 cups quick grits

1 cup grated white cheddar cheese

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed

1.  In a saucepan, combine water, half-and-half, salt and white pepper and bring to a boil.  Slowly pour grits into boiling water while whisking the entire time.  (Watch out for splattering; mixture is very hot).  Reduce to low head and continue to whisk often, until thick and completely smooth, about 10 minutes.

2.  Add cheese and stir gently until cheese melts.  Whisk again to combine.  Turn heat off and allow grits to rest 5 minutes.  Add butter and stir until completely smooth, silky and shiny.

Enjoy!

Be warned, once you make these, you will be hooked.  The recipe makes a huge pan full so I hope the rest of your family will eat them.  Mine won't and I always end up with tons left over.  Grits just aren't the same the next day, so I don't make them often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...