Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Formal Living Room Ideas


This is my formal living room.


We've done a few things to it over the years like add the chair rail and paint.


We started out with white on the top and a green on the bottom.


It stayed like that for several years, too long actually because it wasn't even a pretty green.


When my hubby took a business trip to Germany for 2 weeks, I made it my mission to paint the room while he was gone.


We ended up with this.




It was a nice change but the huge credenza was taking up so much room.


We then cleared everything out and installed hardwood floors.



It was a weekend project and we were so glad to get the carpets out of there.



After we got the hardwoods installed and the furniture put back, I convinced hubby that the credenza needed to go to the basement.


It just didn't fit in this room.  When I think of a formal living room, I think it should look formal


.  Not be a combination living room/computer room/work room.  It's where you should sit when company comes over and have a nice cup of tea in the afternoon.



Oh, we also had hubby's stereo in there.  Yea, all of that had to go.



This is the room cleared out of all excess furniture.  We have so much more room and it's able to stay nice.



I've been tired of the dark paint for a while now.  I loved it when I first did it and that chocolate-brown was in at the time.  Now, it just seems dark and dreary to me.  I've been looking for ways to lighten it up.



I've seen people all over blog land doing board and batten in their rooms and that was what I originally wanted to do in here.  I thought it would look fabulous.


Source


I have been sick for the past 2 days and so I've had some time to hang out in my bedroom and do some thinking.  Pretty much what I came up with is if I want to make a change in that room, and soon, I was going to have to do cheap and easy.  I just don't have the resources or time to do the board and batten right now.  Not to mention, as soon as I get it finished, it'll be out and something new will be in. That's just the way it always goes.


So I have been spending some time at everyone's favorite site pinning ideas and fabric for this space.


I love this look.  It looks so clean and bright.


Source


Or even this one.


Source


I really want to reupholster the sofa and love seat in a white fabric.  I know that is a huge venture so I'm going to have to put some serious thought into it.  I'm tired of the big flowers and the white would brighten up the room like I'm envisioning.


I love this fabric.  I'm going to look for something similar locally and pull my paint colors from it.  I just can't decide if I should do the lighter paint on the top or the bottom.  I'll have to keep looking for inspiration.


Source


So, that's the plan.  I'm going to forgo the board and batten and just do a quick paint and maybe the sofa redo.


Wish me luck.  As soon as I get my energy back, I plan to start.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...