Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Eve and Creamy Brussels Sprouts Bake

Traditions are a wonderful thing
especially at Christmastime.

Traditions give you a sense of comfort
and the kids begin to rely on these traditions
year after year.

They are traditions that I hope they will carry
on into adulthood and continue with their own children.

Our Christmas Eve traditions have stayed the same
for the past 19 years yet they have changed
slightly each year.  Some things may not have been
so great and so the next year, we change it and do something a little different.

However, some things don't change.  We always go to church on Christmas Eve.
I can remember one year, when Trency was little, we went to the 11pm service.
He snored through the entire thing.

Some years we get dressed up and some years we wear jeans.
Some years we make cookies for Santa before church, some
years we make cookies after.  It all depends on what time church starts.

One thing we always do is take a family photo in front of our Christmas tree right before we leave.


2007


2008



2009



2010


After church we usually go out to dinner at a nice
restaurant. 

This year I decided that I would cook for Christmas Eve.
I had purchased a ham and turkey for Christmas day and decided
to make the ham for Christmas Eve.

I'm so glad I did because this is what it looked like
when I took it out of the oven.


It was delicious!!

I made some julienne potatoes and dinner rolls and we enjoyed
a nice dinner at home on Christmas eve.

The kids spent the rest of the evening tracking Santa until I made them go
to bed because Santa was moving very quickly on the tracker.  I knew he would be
in our neck of the woods very soon.

We nibbled on leftovers throughout Christmas Day.  Because
I hadn't slept very much of Christmas Eve, I didn't really feel like
standing in the kitchen cooking.

The day after Christmas was another story.  I cooked all day.
I made the turkey and also tried a new recipe: Creamy Brussel Sprouts Bake.  In a word:
YUMMY!!
It was sooo delicious and I am sharing the recipe with you today.
I got this recipe from Taste of Home Best Holiday
Recipes 2008


Creamy Brussels Sprouts Bake

1 package (8ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen brussels sprouts, thawed and drained
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream until smooth; set aside.  In  a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender.  Stir in brussels sprouts.  Remove from heat; stire in cream cheese mixture.

Spoon into a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish.  Cover and bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.  Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.





It was super easy to make and so very, very delicious.  We have plenty of leftovers and I can't wait to have them for lunch with some leftover ham or turkey.

It's so cold and windy outside so I plan to sit in front of the fire most of the day.

Hope you enjoy your time today with your family!

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...