Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Handmade Birthday Card

One of my New Year's resolutions was to send family members birthday cards this year.


You can read about my resolution here.


Two of my sister's kids have January birthdays.  I usually do pretty good getting them cards in the mail, it's the ones that happen after that that sometimes get ripped off.


So this year, I decided that I would do my best to do better.


Part of the reasoning that I never got a card in the mail to them was because I would always forget to buy one when I was at the store.  I would write myself notes then lose the notes in my purse and it would be weeks after that I would find the note and by then it was to late.


Geez!


So I decided that I would try to make their birthday cards.


I went to good ole' faithful and trusty Pinterest to get some inspiration.


I really liked this one from Creative In Chicago.com



This one from Eighteen 25 is very cool too.



Then there is this one from cards-ideas.info.  A tri-fold and very detailed.  I'm not sure I can jump right into trifolds.



This one from Polkadot Chair really grabbed my attention.  It is quite cool and I like the idea of sewing the money or gift card onto the front.



So that was the one that I decided to base my card on.


The birthday coming up is for my sister's daughter, Abby.  She will be 12 this weekend.


Several years ago, my sister started us sending the birthday boy or girl the amount of cash of the age they are turning.  It's really great until they get to be in the high teens.


{Wonder what age we will stop this}


Anyway, the idea caught on and now my mom and I both follow suit.


I started by creating and printing out this card front from Storybook Creator by Creative Memories.


I printed it onto white cardstock.



I had purchased some pre-cut cards and envelopes from Hobby Lobby so I cutout and glued the printed cardstock piece to the front of the card.  I then cut a piece of velum to sew the money in.



After sewing in her money, I stamped "make a wish" on the inside of the card.



I left room for all of us to sign it.



This is what the finished card looks like.



A close up of the 'money pouch'



I stamped my initial on the back.  That way she'll know it was made by me.



I'm off to a good start.  Let's hope I can keep it up.




I'm linking up with these parties......

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...